IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE
White-Rodgers Announces Voluntary Corrective Action on
Emerson-Branded Sensi WiFi Thermostats
Published December 12, 2018
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, White-Rodgers is implementing a corrective action plan that affects a limited number of those thermostats.
The affected thermostats are vulnerable to damage during service or replacement of your heating or cooling system. Accidental contact between the thermostat wires and line voltage by a service person can damage the thermostat and create a potential fire hazard, which can occur several days later.
Identifying an Affected Thermostat
Potentially affected thermostats have “Emerson” printed on the front. Thermostats with “Sensi” printed on the front are not affected. This corrective action involves model 1F86U-42WF and UP500W thermostats that have date codes from 1416 to 1536 AND are powered by a wire connected to the C terminal on the thermostat base plate.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to determine if your thermostat is affected.
- Step 1: Remove your thermostat from the wall by pulling the thermostat straight toward you; the back plate will remain attached to the wall.
- Step 2: Check the product label located in the upper left of the backside of the thermostat for the model number and date code. Model numbers 1F86U-42WF and UP500W with date codes from 1416 to 1536 might be impacted.
If the product label indicates a different model number or date code outside of this range, no further action is required.
If the product label indicates either of these model numbers AND a date code within this range, please proceed to the next step.
- Step 3: Check to see if you have a wire connected to the terminal labeled “C” on base plate on the wall. If there is no wire connected to the terminal labeled “C”, no further action is required.
If there is a wire connected to the terminal labeled “C”, please proceed to the next step.
- Step 4: Register your thermostat with White-Rodgers by visiting www.recallrtr.com/emersonthermostat or by calling 1-888-847-8742 between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Central Time) Monday through Friday.
- Step 5: Locate the pin labeled C at the bottom right on the backside of the thermostat. Bend the pin down to a 90-degree angle. For additional guidance and a demo, please watch a video at bit.ly/pinremedy.
- Step 6: Place the thermostat back on the base plate on the wall and continue to use your thermostat.
If you have any questions, please call 1-888-847-8742 between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Central Time) Monday through Friday.
This completes the corrective action for most customers. In most installations, a connection to the C terminal is not necessary because your Sensi thermostat will still receive power from the heating/cooling system using the patented “power-sharing” feature in the Sensi. The function of your thermostat should not be impacted, and there is no need to reprogram it.
If your thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi and your system has only heating or only cooling, or if you begin to experience shortened battery life, please contact White-Rodgers for assistance.
This corrective action will disable the continuous backlight feature of the Sensi thermostat. If you use this feature and wish to continue doing so, please contact White-Rodgers for further information.
To contact White-Rodgers, call 1-888-847-8742 between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Central Time) Monday through Friday or visit www.recallrtr.com/emersonthermostat.
If you have already registered and completed the corrective action, no further action on your part is required